Your Home windows laptop computer/ PC permits you to lock a folder or file. Whether or not you’re utilizing Home windows 7/8/10/11, there’s an choice to password-protect your necessary paperwork. This ensures nobody else, aside from you, can entry the content material of the file/ folder. In case you are seeking to lock a folder or file in your laptop computer/ PC, we’re right here to assist. There are a number of methods so that you can do that relying on the model of Microsoft Home windows your laptop is working. However, earlier than we get into how one can password-protect your information and folders utilizing alternative ways, let’s elaborate on why you want to take action.
Why password shield information?
For those who share your PC or laptop computer with different folks, say your loved ones members, they’ll be capable to see something and every little thing you might have on it together with confidential or personal stuff. Plus, there’ll all the time be an opportunity of human error: somebody may delete or modify a file by mistake or by chance share a personal folder. Due to this fact, it’s higher to password-protect sure folders and information in order that undesirable guests can’t entry them.
The best way to lock a folder or file in Home windows 7,8, 10 or 11?
A lot of the Home windows variations include a built-in file encryption system that permits you to password-protect your confidential information and folders and preserve them protected from prying eyes. As well as, there are a number of third-party software program as effectively, which assist make sure that your privateness isn’t compromised.
Learn on to know extra about completely different instruments that may make it easier to lock a folder/file in Home windows 7,8, 10 or 11.
Utilizing built-in encryption software
The easiest way to safe your folders (and information inside them) towards unauthorised people is the Home windows built-in encryption characteristic, BitLocker. It permits you to encrypt your folder to make it accessible solely by way of your Home windows person account and password.
Comply with the steps given beneath to lock a folder or file utilizing the encryption software in Home windows 7, 8, 10 and 11:
- Open Home windows Explorer in your PC/laptop computer and navigate to the file/folder you wish to shield
- Proper-click on the goal file/folder and from the drop-down menu, choose Properties
- Below the Basic tab, click on the Superior button
- From the Superior attributes choices, put a tick within the field subsequent to Encrypt contents to safe information and click on OK
- Now, you can be taken again to the folder Properties window. Click on Apply to save lots of the modifications
- Home windows will ask you when you want to encrypt the file solely or the guardian folder with all its contents. When you’ve made your choice, click on OK to confirm. Home windows will now start to encrypt your information
- When the method completes, you’ll see a small yellow lock image on the folder/file icon, depicting that it’s now password-protected (In case you add new contents to the locked folder, it’s going to robotically be encrypted too)
- You’ll now be prompted to again up your encryption key. You may select to proceed or skip the method
Notice: BitLocker works on all of the variations of Home windows 7,8, 10 and 11 – apart from Home windows 7 Residence Premium and Home windows 10 Residence. For those who’re utilizing them, discuss with the subsequent level.
Utilizing compression instruments
One other simpler means of locking a folder or file is to compress and shield it with a password utilizing compression instruments like 7-Zip (free), WinRAR (free) or WinZip (free trial). It is a nice resolution for you in case your Home windows model doesn’t have built-in encryption.
Simply set up any of the above-mentioned applications in your PC or laptop computer after which retrace the next steps:
- Go to Home windows Explorer and right-click on the folder or file you wish to archive
- From the drop-down menu, choose Add to Archive (or an identical possibility)
- Comply with the prompts to set the archive title, format, dimension, compress degree, and so forth., and click on on OK to compress the goal file or folder
- Now, double-click on the zipped file/folder and choose Set Password
- On the subsequent window, enter the password and click on OK to verify. Your personal information at the moment are archived in a password-protected folder
Utilizing third-party apps
There are a number of third-party software program additionally obtainable that help you safeguard your information with moderately superior strategies. In contrast to the opposite two strategies, password-protection utilizing third-party instruments restricts entry to a folder/file, whatever the logged-in person.
Among the most distinguished third-party instruments obtainable for locking a file/folder in Home windows 7,8, 10 or 11 are:
- Folder Lock
- Straightforward File Locker
- Folder Guard
- IObit Protected Folder
- Gilisoft File Lock Professional
- Secret Disk
- Straightforward File Locker
Notice: For those who decide to make use of third-party software program, ensure you obtain it from a good supply
Suggestions for securing your locked folders
With a purpose to preserve your system secured with the strongest defences, it’s definitely necessary to password shield your information and folders. However, that’s not all. You additionally want to make sure that your passwords are protected.
Listed here are a number of ideas that may assist make sure the safety of your locked (password-protected) folders and information:
Don’t neglect to backup
Ever thought of what may occur when you forgot or misplaced the password to your locked folder or file? There’s additionally the potential for your encryption software program getting corrupted and the information getting misplaced. Therefore, this can be very necessary that you just again up your information frequently. You need to use Microsoft’s OneDrive, Google Drive, or different cloud-based information backup options to be on the safer aspect. Utilizing a password supervisor can even make sure that all of your login credentials are protected and safe.
Select a safe password
Whatever the methodology you select to lock your confidential folders and information, the secret is to arrange a powerful, safe password. A weak, uninventive and straightforward to recollect password won’t be able to guard your system towards potential information theft, hacking, or different such brute power assaults.
Comply with the following pointers to make sure that the password to your confidential folder or file is powerful and impregnable:
- Your password will need to have at the least ten characters
- Your password should be a mix of higher case and decrease case letters
- Your password should be alpha-numeric (additionally embody particular characters if permissible)
Notice: Use a password energy checker to make sure that you’ve chosen a powerful password
The best way to open a locked folder?
To start with, you should be logged into your Home windows person account to entry the locked folder. You additionally want the password to it. Merely double-click the locked folder, and enter the password you might have set. In case you might have encrypted the contents of the folder, you’ll want the password to entry them as effectively.
How do I conceal a folder on my laptop?
Most Home windows variations have a built-in characteristic to cover information and folders in order that they don’t seem within the listing and might’t be accessed by undesirable guests. Comply with these steps to cover a folder in your PC:
- Proper-click the goal folder and choose Properties from the menu
- Go to the Basic tab and below the Attributes sections, tick the Hidden field
- Click on OK to save lots of the modifications. Your folder will disappear from view